July 19, 2010
View of Historic Colvin House -- Sheridan Road, Looking North from Thorndale
From a time when Sheridan was a quiet street. The house on the far left is the Colvin House, designed by George W. Maher, who also designed many of the homes along historic Hutchinson Street in Uptown. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:
"The Colvin House is a house in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The house was built in 1909 by George W. Maher. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on October 5, 1994. This residence was built for Alexander R. Colvin, a physician, and his wife, Sarah Tarleton Colvin, a founder of the Minnesota Nurses Association and an activist in the suffrage movement. Sarah Colvin was chairperson from 1915-1920 of the Minnesota branch of the Congressional Union (later the National Woman's Party). She was jailed twice in 1918 in Washington, D.C. for displaying a suffrage banner in front of the White House and for burning President Woodrow Wilson in effigy. When this house was built it was not connected to the city water and sewer system. The Colvins dug their own well."
Here is what Chicago Landmarks has to say:
"This large-scale residence, one of the most distinguished to survive along Sheridan Road, epitomizes the distinctive architectural style of its designer. Dominant central entries, broad hipped roofs, bold rectangular massing, and complementary landscaping are common features of the work of this well-known architect, who began his career working for Frank Lloyd Wright."
Image below from Google Maps, of how the street looks today. Click labels link below for more images of Sheridan Road.
View Larger Map