One of our regular readers found a great article on the Arcadia Ballroom, which was built in Uptown in 1910, served some time as a Boxing Ring and a Roller Rink, and burned down in the 1950s. The site is now part of the Wilson Yard project. Here's an excerpt of the article, with link to the rest of the story, which has some photos:
4432-4456 North Broadway
Opened in 1910 as a combination dance hall and skating rink, the Arcadia Ballroom, situated along the west side of Broadway just north of Montrose Avenue, was one of the Uptown district's best known entertainment destinations. During the 1920s, the ballroom became one of the city's most popular dance establishments and stood as one of the few places in the city where white audiences regularly danced to the music of all-black jazz bands. The driving force behind the Arcadia's popularity, particularly during the late 1910s and 1920s, was sports and dance promoter Paddy Harmon, whose interests included the Dreamland Ballroom and Chicago Stadium on the near west side.
At a time when most of the city's ballroom managers drew a strict color line in the hiring of bands to entertain their predominantly white patrons, Harmon willingly hired all-black jazz bands from the south side to play at the Arcadia. This made the ballroom one of only a handful of north side venues...
For complete article, go here: Arcadia.