From the archive...
North Side to Get $1,000,000 Ballroom
Source: Chicago Evening American, 9 May 1925, pg. 7.
Source: Chicago Evening American, 9 May, 1925, p. 7
A new $1,000,000 ballroom will be built at the northwest corner of
Lawrence and Winthrop avs., to be ready for use by the first of the
year, it was announced today.
Andrew Karzas of the Trianon and Milton S. Plotke have formed a
syndicate to provide for the erection of the building. Huszagh &
Hill are the architects, Huszagh-Musson & Co. negotiated the deal.
The building will be four stories high and the exterior will be
of Spanish design with color terra cotta and a pattern work of brick.
To Have Promenades
There will be six stores on Lawrence av. The ballroom floor,
octagonal in shape, will accomodate 5,000 dancers and will rest on a
series of floors calculated to give a resilience to the surface.
Two large promenades will flank the sides of the ballroom,
connecting a grand salon on one end with three stages on the opposite
side, which will be used for instruction and revues. Oil paintings and
draperies will line the walls of the promenades.
The ladies rest room will be fitted up with a view to boudoir
excellence and telephone booths, men's smoking rooms, and first aid
rooms are some of the other facilities which will be provided.
The interior specifications are more elaborate than those of the
Trianon and will represent the results of a study of interiors made by
Mr. Karzas in a tour of Europe in 1924.