Dover Street residents have been successful in making their street a historic district. From left to right are block president John Holden and residents Tim Hamilton and Nancy Polich.
John Stewart / Sun-Times
In 1891, Graceland Cemetery Corporation decided to sell some land adjacent to what is now the celebrated eternal resting place of rich and famous Chicagoans.
The area became known as Sheridan Park -- bordered by West Montrose and West Lawrence avenues, North Broadway and North Clark, with Wilson Avenue running down the middle -- and was built to create an eight-square block suburban-style haven for the well-to-do in Uptown.
The streets and lots were laid out by landscape architect Ossian Simonds, who also had a hand in the design of Graceland Cemetery across the street...For rest of story, go to Sun Times.