Once located at 4141 N. Clarendon and built between 1869 and 1872, the Marine Hospital in Buena Park, Uptown, was one of the oldest buildings in Chicago at the time it was torn down in the 1960s.
A report in 1965 by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) of the National Park Service concluded that while it was in “good condition,” it was adjacent to a “slowly deteriorating neighborhood.” Despite numerous plans for reuse, it was torn town. Today, the Disney Magnet School occupies the site where the Marine Hospital once stood.
It's hard to believe that such a beautiful building was ever torn down. More information and pictures can be found at Marine Hospital.
This image is also available on a mug.