1201-1213 W. Leland Avenue, at Racine
The six-story Leland Hotel opened for business in 1927. It was designed by the firm Dubin & Eisenberg, who were also responsible for designing the beautiful synagogue for the Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation on Kenmore near Argyle. At the time, the Leland had 205 rooms with weekly rates of $15 per week. In the mid-1900s it was converted into apartments, and over the years fell into serious neglect and decay. By the end of the century, many units were completely uninhabitable and the Leland was at risk for demolition.
Heartland Housing purchased the building in 2000. Nearly $15 million was raised to restore the facade and renovate the interior, with funding coming from state and federal tax credits, grants, and TIF money. The renovation, completed by Joseph Freed and Associates, created 4000 square feet of commercial retail space and 137 units of affordable housing, including studios and one-bedroom apartments. Sixteen percent of the units are compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The Leland Apartments are on the National Register of Historic Places.